Minutes of June, 2007 Meeting
BIG PARK REGIONAL COORDINATING COUNCIL
FINAL Minutes of the Meeting – June 14, 2007
Approved December 13, 2007
1. The June 14, 2007 meeting of the Big Park Regional Coordinating Council was called to order at 9:00 AM by President Bert Berkshire in the Big Park Fire Station meeting room, immediately followed by the pledge to the flag.
2. In attendance were fourteen (14) members and two (2) alternates, a quorum.
3. Secretary’s Report. Peggy Dorrell asked that the Amended Minutes for the month of May, 2007 be approved. Motion for approval by Paul Sullivan, 2nd by Carolyn Fisher, approved unanimously.
5. Corresponding secretary’s report. No report.
6. Treasurer’s Report. Jeff Dunn reported a current balance of $4,611.12 with the Recreation Committee showing a balance of $1,254.07. Dunn further reported that all HOA’s had paid their dues. This report was submitted for audit. Vote on budget postponed until July 12, 2007 meeting. Treasurer’s report filed for audit.
A. Transportation Committee: Joanne Johnson, Chair:
(Meetings at call of Chair)
The VVTPO is electing new members. Joanne Johnson will solicit volunteers from this committee to run.
Joanne Johnson wants a letter written to Pinion Woods telling that gate will stay closed. Peggy Dorrell moved that BPRCC write a letter to Pinion Woods to that effect with additional information that Pinion Woods is an enforcement priority by the Sheriff’s Division. Dorothy O’Brien seconded the motion and it was unanimously passed. Carolyn moved that community needed to be given time for comments and/or suggestion. Joanne Johnson seconded and asked that vote be tabled for 30 days to ask for comments and/or suggestions.
B. Planning and Zoning Committee: Zona Fink, Chair (Meetings on 2nd Wednesday, 8:30 AM at Sedona Winds) Zona Fink announced that 9 committee members attended meetings this month.
D. Recreation Committee: Bob Carlile (Meetings at call of Chair)
Carolyn Fisher announced that the President of PTSA stated that the calendar was definitely used.
E. All American Road Committee: Bill Kusner, Chair (Meetings at call of Chair)
1. Bill Kusner and Nancy Brown discussed the need for the AAR Committee to be affiliated with a 50l(c) 3 Corporation when dealing with NACOG and ADOT. The fact that BPRCC is not a 501(c) 3 and cannot file for that designation and does not want the liability or responsibility, and VPRI , a 501(c)3, has agreed to assume the responsibility and the liability for maintenance.
Paul Sullivan moved and Craig Dible seconded, that the All American Road Committee be removed as a standing committee from the proposed Bylaws and from the current Policies and Procedures and become a part of VPRI. Motion carried unanimously.
F. Ad hoc Library Committee: Carolyn Fisher, Chair
(Meetings at call of Chair)
1. No report
8. Old Business:
1. Don Beard announced that the definitions for ROA and BOA in the proposed revised Bylaws required a revision. Further, we as a Council should agree to civility and treat each other with respect. Every member’s input is valuable.
2. Don Beard asked the Council members to send any suggested changes to him by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 284-0939. Don Beard moved that discussion be tabled for 30 days, motion seconded by Joanne Johnson. Motion passed unanimously.
9. New Business:
1. Bill Kusner announced that the AAR Committee had voted 12-1 to accept a monument sign saying Village of Oak Creek and had been given until June 18, 2007 to accept. It would be installed at the Ridge Trail Roundabout. Many residents and business owners/operators were present at the meeting and several of them voiced serious discontent with the sign saying “Village of Oak Creek”. They indicated that their businesses relied on marketing efforts by the Sedona Chamber of Commerce and that they would want any signs to say Sedona, Welcome, or “Welcome to Red Rock Country”. If the sign cannot be changed, they would rather that the sign be blank. Wording could be added later and after a public hearing in the community.
Carolyn Fisher moved that BPRCC ask AAR to go back to ADOT and Yavapai County and resolve the issue there. Fran McWherter seconded the motion. Bill Kusner reminded that AAR Committee was now a part of VPRI. Carolyn Fisher withdrew her motion.
Paul Sullivan made the following motion, seconded by Carolyn Fisher, to ask Bill Kusner to submit a letter to Kathy Knapp requesting additional time. If additional time could not be allowed, then request that a blank monument be used. After a public hearing and coming to a consensus, then appropriate words could be added. Motion passed unanimously.
Bert Berkshire the following announcements:
1. Chip Davis will hold his next community meeting on October 22, 2007 at 6:30 PM, presumably at the VOCA Community Center.
2. A Computer Club has been formed and will meet Saturday morning from 9-11 at the VOCA Community Center. A $5.00 fee will apply.
3. Bud Heiberger has resigned from the P&Z Committee because of illness.
4. The Fire District is doing its’ annual strategic planning for its current budget of $11.7 million, and it is expected to increase about $2.5million in ‘07/’08, They will hold a public meeting on Wednesday, June 27,2007 at 3:00 PM at Station #1 in West Sedona.
Ruth Kane announced that the Big Park Wastewater District has had to relocate the Re-Use line on Jack’s Canyon which has been costly. The work is expected to be finished by June 25, 2007.
Meeting adjourned at 12:15 PM.
Peggy Dorrell, Secretary