Minutes of August, 2007 Meeting
BIG PARK REGIONAL COORDINATING COUNCIL
Minutes of the Meeting – August 9, 2007
FINAL approved at BPRCC meeting 9/11/07
1. The August 9, 2007 meeting of the Big Park Regional Coordinating Council was called to order at 9:00 AM by President Bert Berkshire in the Big Park Fire Station meeting room, immediately followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. In attendance were thirteen (13) members and three (3) alternates, a quorum.
3. George Reeve from the Hole-in-the-Wall Lessee of a portion of the Verde Valley School informed the Council how grateful they were for the Council’s support for this project and to announce that the name would be “Camp Soaring Eagle”. The developer Max James hopes to open the camp in Spring of 2009 should the County Supervisors approve the project.
4 . Secretary’s Report. Peggy Dorrell asked that the Amended Minutes for the month of June, 2007 be approved. Tom Graham move to delay approval until the Secretary resubmitted the original minutes for June 2007, along with a separate list of requested changes. This was requested in order to conform with Robert’s Rules of Order. Dorothy O’Brien seconded the motion and motion passed.
The Secretary submitted minutes taken by Tom Graham for the meeting of July 12, 2007. Tom Graham verbally requested that the council change item #3 to show that Minutes for the May ,2007 meeting should read June, 2007. Zona Fink asked that a change be made in Section 7B to correct the word to County instead of Committee and that the word sketch be changed to presentation. Tom Graham moved to approve with a second by Janis Mock-Jones and unanimously approved by the council.
5. Corresponding secretary’s report. No report.
6. Treasurer’s Report. Jeff Dunn reported a current balance of $3,481.12, after paying the D&O insurance in the amount of $1,089.00 and which amount is less in 2007 than in 2006; the Recreation Committee shows a balance of $1,254.07. Dunn further reported that all HOA’s had paid their dues. This report was submitted for audit.
7. President Bert Berkshire introduced Henry Reiter made a presentation to the Council regarding Citizen Participation “101”. This presentation included a flow diagram along with the language from Section 209 Citizen Participation excerpted from the 2003 Yavapai County Planning and Zoning Ordinance.
A. Transportation Committee: Joanne Johnson, Chair:
(Meetings at call of Chair)
John Gillam reported that he and President Bert Berkshire had attended the VVTPS-TAC meeting. It was noted that a possible future road showing on the maps presented was one connecting Verde Valley School Road, South of Red Rock Crossing with Red Rock Loop Road. It was made known that this change had been requested by Cornville. President Berkshire made a strong suggestion that any changes to Verde Valley School Road be discussed first with the Big Park Regional Coordinating Council.
B. Planning and Zoning Committee: Zona Fink, Chair (Meetings on 2nd Wednesday, 8:30 AM at Sedona Winds)
1. Zona Fink reported on the Stakeholders of SR 179 Executive Team meeting. No monthly meetings will be held. Reports will be forthcoming on a Quarterly basis and Semi-annual meetings will be held henceforth. A copy of the Quarterly Report will be attached to these minutes.
2. Zona Fink reported that the P&Z committee was asked by the President of the Las Piedras HOA, Ms. Barbara Miller if she should contact Mr. Zambrano about holding a citizen’s participation meeting. Ms. Miller was told that she should go ahead if she wished, but that it was not the purview of the P&Z committee to do so.
3. Zona Fink reported on the Hole-in-the-Wall project that members who attended the on-site meeting had reported back to the committee. Since Ms. Fink already had a copy of the minutes from the County, she read that particular stipulation that was causing the most concern about water. The county has 8 stipulations including #8 that was created because of the hydrologist report, showing balance of water evaporation with less usage of water elsewhere. The Planning & Zoning Commission unanimously approved this project. A public hearing before the Board of Supervisors will be held on Monday, August 20, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
4. Zona Fink reported that the Planning & Zoning committee would like to send a letter to the developer for Vistella requesting that they put a minimum lease period of 6 months, since that would be the same as Suncliff. John Gillam moved that the letter be sent, seconded by Don Beard and unanimously passed by the Council.
5. It was announced that a potential lighting problem needed to be addressed for the “Biltmore Property”. Between the Planning & Zoning Committee Meeting and this Council meeting, the owner, Bob Poole, has scheduled a public meeting for a Condominium Conversion. That meeting will be held on-site August 16, 2007 at 6:30 PM.
C. Recreation Committee: Bob Carlile (Meetings at call of Chair)
Carolyn Fisher announced that the calendar is on hold until next month. This calendar is part of a commitment made in the Community Plan.
D. Deleted as a duplication of item F.
E. Ad-Hoc Bylaw Committee: Don Beard, Chair (Meetings at call of Chair)
Don Beard read thru suggested changes to proposed Bylaws draft of May 2007.
Entire Document; Change ROA to RAM. Vote: 12Yes, 0 No.
Article II, Section 2. Add “There is a limit of three (3) BOA Members. Vote 10 Yes, 2 No
Article III, Section 2. Add “Representative must have Letter.” Vote 10 Yes, 2 No.
Article VII, Section 9. The Nominating Committee shall be appointed in October, and submit slate of officers in November. The election shall take place in December and the elected officers shall assume their respective officers in January of the following year. Vote: 12 Yes, 0 No.
Article VII, Section 2. After changing from four (4) to three (3) Standing Committees: Transportation, Planning & Zoning, Parks and Recreation, the balance of the Section 2 is as proposed. Vote: 11 Yes, 0 No.
Article VII, Section 6. Delete in its entirety. Vote: 11 Yes, 0 No.
Don Beard assured the Council that corrected copies would be available by the next meeting.
F. Ad hoc Library Committee: Carolyn Fisher, Chair
(Meetings at call of Chair)
1. No report
8. Old Business: None.
9. New Business:
1. Dorothy O’Brien discussed the Forest Service travel management rule proposed actions regarding ATV’s and they now have new maps.
2. Dorothy O’Brien further announced that Bill Stafford that maintenance assistance for the local forest would be welcome as the Forest Service does not have the funding or staffing.
Bert Berkshire the following announcements:
1. Chip Davis will hold his next community meeting on October 22, 2007 at 6:30 PM, presumably at the VOCA Community Center.
2. A Computer Club has been formed and will meet Saturday morning from 9-11 at the VOCA Community Center.
3. The Literacy Center would appreciate volunteers.
4. The Fire District is having a Town Hall meeting on Tuesday August 28 from 6-7:30 PM. The Fire District Board will meet in the Village on Saturday, September 29 at 7 PM
5. Bert Berkshire announced that both he and Tom Graham would be out of town next month. Peggy Dorrell will preside for the September 13th meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 11:45 AM.
Peggy Dorrell, Secretary