Minutes Archive

Return to previous page.

Minutes of April, 2004 Meeting


2004-04-08

Big Park Regional Coordinating Council

Minutes of April 8, 2004 Meeting

 

  1. The April 8, 2004 Big Park Regional Coordinating Council meeting was called to order by President Don Beard at 9:00AM at the Big Park Fire Station Meeting Room.  13 members were present, which is a quorum.  
  2. The minutes of the March11 meeting were approved as presented.
  3. Corresponding Secretary – no new correspondence.
  4. Treasurer’s report – Jim Trueheart reported that all members’ dues have been received and that the Regular account balance was $3,470.  Also, the Recreation account balance is $768.39 including $145 earmarked for skateboard activities.  Report was approved as presented.
  5. Committee Reports:
    1. Transportation Committee:

1.     SR 179 Process—Tom Hutchinson reported  there will be several events during May that will lead to selection of a final highway design concept.

1.     May 1,2, (noon to 5 pm), May 3, (7am to 7pm) at Poco Diablo an Exhibit of the revised six highway planning concept alternatives.

2.     May 4 (7 to 10 am  & 6-9pm), also at Poco Diablo, a public screening of the 6 alternatives to narrow the number of highway alternatives from six to three prior to the May 25-27 Charrette. 

3.     May 25-27, Charrette #3 (location, TBD) will be held to select the final design concept.

Traffic projections – Dave Benore (meeting observer) mentioned that there have been new preliminary traffic projections prepared for the SR 179 Needs Based Implementation Process that show a significant reduction in the estimated traffic along the SR 179 corridor (e.g., 10,000 fewer vehicles per day at the “Y”).  The key difference between the new study and the study done several years ago is that the new estimate is predicated on a finite number of housing sites being available in the Sedona/Big Park area (build out) rather than a straight line projection of today’s growth trends out into the future.

2.     Alternate Route – After a brief discussion and no questions, a motion was approved supporting the Transportation Committee’s recommendation for the Alternative route presented at the March 11th BPRCC meeting (Reference: March 11 meeting minutes).

3.     Shuttle Project: – A Big Park representative is needed to replace Dick Byrnes.  Shari Walter has agreed to be interim representative until a permanent rep is chosen.

4.     Committee Membership – Andrew Goode and John Gillam were approved as new members of the Transportation Committee and Jim Trueheart was approved as an Alternate member for Andrew Goode.

5.     Gas Pipeline – Discussion was held regarding the proposed UniSource gas pipeline extension through the Village and the Forest up to the southern edge of the City of Sedona.   Key points included:

1.     The Forest Service is still reviewing the EA before presentation to the public for discussion.   Within 2 weeks after the EA is released, the Pipeline Sub-Committee will meet and review the EA prior to meeting with the Forest Service (& perhaps City of Sedona representatives).

2.     There are presently 6 alternative routes being reviewed for the location of the pipeline through the Forest section, including along Bell Rock pathway, the present SR179 roadbed and in the area of the proposed southbound roadbed of the bifurcated highway alternatives.

3.     Contrary to prior information, the new Las Piedras development may be able to tap into the gas line (vs. adding propane tanks).  The P & Z Committee will follow up with the developer to confirm.

4.     Dave Benore, President of Voice of Choice, reported that contrary to rumors being circulated, Voice of Choice has not taken a position on where the new Gas pipeline should be placed.

  1.  
    1. Planning and Zoning Committee:

1.     Second Kitchen at Adobe Hacienda B & B – Dorothy Hores (P&Z chairperson for 2004) reported that the P&Z committee met with the owner of a B&B who has requested that the County allow him to have 2 kitchens – one for his residence and one for his B&B guests.  The problems with this request include:

1.     The second kitchen would create a two family house in a single family residential neighborhood and although the present owner does not wish to use it as such, the County maintains that it cannot prevent that use by future owners.  Such a change would require a zoning change and an amendment to the Community plan.

2.     The Owner of the B&B was granted a special use permit 2 years ago to place a residential addition on the existing building.  The County granted the special use permit with the specific condition that only one kitchen would be allowed.  Accordingly, the applicant is asking to negate the very condition that he agreed to in order to get the special permit.

 The Council approved (with some dissent) a motion accepting the P&Z committee’s recommendation to reject the applicant’s request.     

2.     Helipad – Reported that the Big Park resident who wants to garage his helicopter in a residential area in Big Park met with the P&Z Committee on March  22 to investigate the possibility of receiving a special use permit for the Helipad.  The P&Z committee voted unanimously to reject his request.  This action was similar to actions previously taken by the County and the Board of Adjustment.  The applicant can appeal the Board of Adjustment decision to a higher court and has indicated that he may do so.

3.     Matt Cavanaugh Development on Verde Valley School Road – The P&Z Committee held its third meeting with developer Matt Cavanaugh to discuss his plan for 25 homes on a 10.5 acre site at the corner of Deer Pass and Verde Valley School Road.  Mr. Cavanaugh has made several changes to his plan and will file with the County by the end of this month.  At its March 22 meeting, the P&Z committee voted to support the modified plan with 11 conditions requested by the neighbors, an agreement to limit all homes to one story (except lots  15 & 16 as agreed by all) and to designate the 325 ft. open space area at the eastern end of the property as permanent open space.

Mr. Cavanaugh was in attendance at the BPRCC meeting and answered many questions from the council members.  Aside from a concern that the potential added traffic onto Deer Pass Rd. might be a problem, the proposal was received favorably.  The Council approved a motion recommending this plan to the County (with one abstention).

  1.  
    1. Recreation Committee:

1.     Summer Swimming – Louisa Connell reported that progress was been made but that a site for the summer swim program was still not finalized.

2.     Skateboard – Bob Carlile is finalizing plans for the resumption of the skateboarding program.

3.     Naming of the Park

1.     Work on the park is being completed and the present plan is to dedicate the Kiwanis Park next to VOCA on May 25th.  In the meantime, the park is being used.

4.     Jim Trueheart reported that the Sedona Village Business Association is planning another Community play day on September 19th and that the Recreation Committee can request funds now in anticipation of that effort.

  1. Old Business:
    1. Policies  & Procedures – new Policies and Procedures presented to the Council were approved.  The Secretary will issue the approved version to each BPRCC member.
    2. Medical Center – Zona Fink reported that Verde Valley Medical Center has reassessed it’s position (reported at the March 11 BPRCC meeting) and now plans to begin construction on a new facility including a X Ray Lab and medical Lab and that they hope to have a Doctor assigned to the facility by September this year.
    3. Litter Lifter Reporting – Barbara Zeschke again requested that each HOA involved in a neighborhood litter removal program prepare a report confirming the time spent on the program and send to Barbara for forwarding to the County Administrator for the Adopt the Road Program.
  2. Announcements:
    1. Sam Bomar Memorial—Will be held on June 12, 2:30 pm at the Church of the Red Rocks.  Those wishing to attend should RSVP by calling 284-4232 before May 15th.  
    2. Financing AZ – Zona Fink announced that the 18th Annual Verde Valley Economic Forum titled “Financing Arizona, Time for a Change” would be held at the Cliff Castle Casino Lodge on Tuesday, April 20 from 8:30AM to 2:30 PM.  A flyer with more detail was passed out to the Council members.

 

Meeting was adjourned at 10:25AM.

 

                                     John Gillam, Secretary

Approved May 13, 2004

Return to previous page.