Minutes of June, 2004 Meeting
Big Park Regional Coordinating Council
Minutes of June 10, 2004 Meeting of
1. SR 179 Process—Zona Fink reported that the final "Preferred Planning Concept" for the SR 179 highway design has been selected. Also,
a. DAP Applications –SR179 Design Advisory Panel (DAP) members have been selected (10 from 30 applicants for the Village segment). DAP members will be notified of their selection by early July. There will be one DAP for each of the Highway Segments and they will meet four times between July 26th and October 6th to provide input and feedback on conceptual designs for aesthetic treatments, median break locations, scenic pullout features and construction timing.
2. Gas Pipeline – Bob Aberg reported that CNF have issued their EA comments for the proposed UniSource gas pipeline extension from VOC through the Forest to Back ‘o Beyond in Sedona and are recommending the “Purple” route alternative be followed. “Purple” would follow the alignment of the new Southbound bifurcated lane through the forest and then through the Village off the East side of SR179 (Canyon Diablo, etc.). There will be a Public meeting on June 23rd (3-7 PM) at the Church of the Red Rocks to answer questions. Public comments on the EA proposal are due back to the CFS by July 9. Further information can be secured at the Forest Service website www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/nepa.
1. Bread & Breakfast special use permit --Dorothy Hores reported that this request was denied by the County Supervisors.
2. Village Estates – approved by the County P & Z.
3. Helipad—County P&Z rejected the request (5-2 vote) but the County Supervisors will consider a request by the applicant (Mr. Reeves) for a Special Use permit at their meeting on June 21st at 9:30am in Cottonwood. Citizens are strongly encouraged to attend this meeting and express their views.
4. Patel Property (corner of Jacks Canyon & SR179) – Nothing new to report.
1. Summer Swimming – Louisa Connell reported that the summer swim program will open at Sedona Winds beginning on Sunday, June 20 from noon to 4 PM. Also, Linda Christopher has agreed to serve as chairperson for this program and Volunteers are needed to supervise at the pool on Sunday afternoons.
2. Activities Calendar – still a viable project for the Recreation Committee and will be resumed in September.
3. Park Grand Opening – The Grand Opening of the new community park will be Saturday, June 19th from 10am to 2:00pm. The park will be named “Kiwanis Park”.
4. SVBA Funding – Jim Trueheart reported that requests for funding should be submitted as soon as possible. Actual funding amounts will be decided after the fund raising activities are completed later this summer.
1. It is recommended that Committee members limit their term on the Committee to four years in order to encourage wider Community participation.
1. A motion was approved to “support a grant application to be submitted in support of creating a regional economic development plan.” A letter will be written from Don Beard addressed to Gilbert Jimenez (Director of the AZ Department of Commerce) and forwarded to CBRC to be included in their grant application packet.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:28AM.
John Gillam, Secretary
Minutes Approved July 8, 2004
2. Council members are requested to discuss with their individual HOAs for adoption of this change at the July 8th Council meeting.