Minutes Archive

Return to previous page.

Minutes of September, 2004 Meeting


2004-09-09

Big Park Regional Coordinating Council

Minutes of September 9, 2004 Meeting

 

  1. The September 9, 2004 Big Park Regional Coordinating Council meeting was called to order by President Don Beard at 9:00AM at the Big Park Fire Station Meeting Room.  12 members were present, which is a quorum.
  2. The minutes of the August 12, 2004 meeting were approved as written.
  3. Corresponding Secretary – no new correspondence received.
  4. Treasurer’s report – Jim Trueheart reported that there were no new expenses and that the main account balance remains at $3,360, while the Recreation account is $330 including $145 earmarked for skateboard activities.  Report was approved as presented.
  5. Committee Reports:
    1. Transportation Committee:

1.     SR 179 Executive Team—Zona Fink reported that the SR179 Executive team received a detailed briefing on feedback from the first DAP meetings in August, including the DAP committees concerns and recommendations for Scenic Pullouts, Pedestrian Crossings, Median Island Break locations and Wildlife Crossings.  Also, it was reported that the SR179 project have received the Arizona Planning Association’s 2004 award for Public Outreach/Multi-Agency Coordination and that the award luncheon will be held in Tucson on September 23rd.

2.     DAP Process – Joanne Johnson reported that during the September meeting of DAP 1 (Village segment), Coconino National Forest personnel presented an outline of the process being used to design the proposed new Ranger Station being planned south of the VOC.  The 3rd DAP meeting (October 5th) will discuss landscaping, signage, and construction process and timing options.  Bert Berkshire reported that DAP 2 (Coconino National Forest portion between the Village and Sedona City limits) has been discussing pullout areas and the need to add some additional parking to compensate for the elimination of the many informal parking places when curbs and gutters are added to the corridor.

3.     Jack’s Canyon Rd. Improvements – several Transportation committee members “walked” the proposed project area with Yavapai County road officials.  Key points include:

1.     Project is in the preliminary design stages and there is no funding yet;

2.     There will be two 12 foot travel lanes;

3.     Possibly curbs and gutters;

4.     5 foot pedestrian path on one side;

5.     The elevation of the hill at the Sedona Winds curve may be lowered to improve visibility;

6.     Speed limit will be 35 mph.

4.     Camp Verde Roundabout – Near Cliff Castle Casino is now operational in a primitive form with striping still required & has received very strong support from the Yavapai Apache Nation officials.  Plans are to add an additional roundabout closer to the I-17 intersection in the Casino area.

5.     Next meeting – Joanne Johnson reported that Tom Hutchinson’s surgery went very well and he’s expected to attend the next Transportation committee meeting scheduled at 8AM, September 27 @ Sedona Winds.

 

  1.  
    1. Planning and Zoning Committee: (no action items)

1.     Lee Mountain Rd. Development – Dorothy Hores reported that the developer presented his proposal but that it was “poorly” received, primarily due to increasing the number dwelling units from 5 to 13 on the available land.

2.     Patel Property @ SR179/Jack’s Canyon – Potential options are still in the discussion stage.  The P& Z committee plans to continue to encourage the developer to modify his proposals to confirm with the Village Community Plan as closely as possible (e.g., no Timeshares).

3.     Henry Reiter – Re: plans for a Art Forum venue for the Village.   It is still work in progress and he hopes to report some progress in the near future.

4.     Farmers Market in the Village  -- there may be a daily Farmers Market established on the Bell Rock Inn property.

5.     Gateway Independent School -- The School is presently in violation of a County ordinance requiring a fence.  The P&Z is working with the County to enforce this requirement.

  1. Old Business:
    1. Website Update  -- Zona Fink reported that she is still trying to establish the final links between our new website and the Yavapai County’s website.   She is hopeful that the process will be completed sometime this month.
    2. KSB Helipad opposition – Update – Bill Pumphries reported that KSB are working with the AZ Public Interest Law Firm to plan next steps in the process.  At the present time the County and the Helipad requestor are in a Court imposed mandatory mediation period to try to find their own solution to the problem; this ends on October 4th.  Further action by KSB will await the outcome of that process.
  2. New Business
    1. Recreation Committee – need volunteer(s) to take the lead and re-organize the Recreation Committee activities as the committee is presently inactive.
    2. Water well enhancement  -- It was reported that the owner of the Big Park Water Company (Steve Gudovic) will attend the October 14th BPRCC meeting to discuss the plans and benefits expected from the water well improvements that are presently being undertaken.
  3. Announcements:
    1. Clean-up Day – Don Beard reported that the County has still scheduled no clean-up day so far.  Last year’s activities greatly exceeded the budget.
    2. Northern AZ Water Consortium – Meeting will be held on Saturday September  18th from 2 to 4PM at the Granite Peak Unitarian Church in Prescott to discuss the watershed partnership that is presently included in the compromise bill authorizing the Yavapai Ranch Land Exchange.  The following panelists will be featured:  Heather Wicke, (Legislative Assistant to Sen. McCain), Tom O’Halleran, Chip Davis, and Kyle Blasch from the U.S. Geological Survey.  Everyone is encouraged to attend.
    3. Golf Tournament – Jim Trueheart reported that ticket sales for the September 19th Golf Outing, sponsored by the Sedona Village Business Association to raise money to support local community organizations (youth, etc.) are not up to expectations.  People are strongly encouraged to sign up as soon as possible to ensure a successful event.

 

 

Meeting was adjourned at 9:57 AM.

                                                             John Gillam, Secretary

(approved October 14, 2004)

 

 

 

Return to previous page.